In 1874, a Library Association was formed. To join, a member had to pay either a dollar or donate books worth that amount. The books were kept in the County Recorder’s Office. ...
This page was published on April 20th, 1916...over 100 years ago! What will YOU find in our archive?
In 1874, a Library Association was formed. To join, a member had to pay either a dollar or donate books worth that amount. The books were kept in the County Recorder’s Office. In 1895 a meeting was held to discuss plans to start a library with a reading room. It was decided to purchase as many good books and periodicals as possible as well as hire a caretaker. This was all to be done at a cost not to exceed $500. In 1908, it was proposed that GAR Memorial Hall be turned over to the city for use as a library. With the support of 600 people, a basket supper was held to raise the initial funds. The Board of Trustees of the Sibley Public Library leased the GAR Memorial Hall for a term of 76 years at the rental of $1.00 a year. The Trustees were to keep the hall in repair and to allow the Post and Relief Corps to use the building for their meetings.
In 1915, a new library was assured because of a Carnegie grant of $10,000. Harris L. Emmert, Sibley’s first banker and land company owner, donated the site. The Sibley Public Library was dedicated on December 11, 1917. The dedication program was held in the opera house and was followed by a reception in the new library building. In 1978, blueprints for an addition on the library were drawn up. When the Sibley Middle School was destroyed by fire on December 7, 1978, the Board of Trustees realized the community couldn’t pay for both rebuilding the school and a library addition and the plans were postponed. In 1981, the Friends of the Sibley Public Library was first organized to promote, improve and expand library services. In 1983, the bond issue for the library addition and renovation project passed in November. A $40,000 gift for furnishings was received from the Kinney Lindstrom Foundation. With the backing of the community, the project was completed in the summer of 1985. This addition features a public meeting room, with a kitchenette, a genealogy room and a large children’s activity room. The dedication was held September 28, 1985.
In 2008, the Sibley City Council approved bond money of $180,000 for the library to make improvements to the library. In April of 2009, the library was closed for three weeks and everything was removed from the library. A local businessman stored everything in several semi trucks and prior to the start of the project an auction was held in the library. Then the library was painted, carpet installed, new furnishings purchased and installed. Everything was rearranged to make a bright new space that is very welcoming to the community. An Open House was held in August of 2009.